Saturday, December 17, 2011

12 Days of Christmas: Day 5: Our Hometown Christmas


I can hardly wait to head back to my hometown for Christmas!!!!! I am so super excited! There is something special about your home...especially at Christmas...

Sometimes, it seems the older you get the more you remember and value those things you grew up with! They become even more special! You seem to talk about them more this time of year...here are somethings I remember about my hometown at Christmas time:

  • We always knew it was getting close to Christmas when the Food Lion put up their BIG Christmas tree.
  • When we lived in our white house, I had an upstairs bedroom, and the older man down the road would go all out with his lights. I could look out my window at night and see them!
  • I don't support Catholics or anything, but it was so special to see their manger scene they put up every year. (It wasn't the plastic kind, but a beautifully made one!) It just wouldn't be right without it.
  • We used to ride downtown to see the trees all lit up, and then to the Library to see the big tree!
  • The School for the Deaf would always have a lone star at the top of their tallest building.
  • We don't do the whole Santa Claus thing, but it was so neat to me to see Rudolph at the Mall! It was like this giant head...and a lady Mama knew was the voice...
  • The church Christmas party was so good! Not to mention all that food!
So here are just a few of my memories from my hometown...what are yours?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh... my favorite is going to the festival of trees! we weren't able to go this year, but it's so much fun! haha! :)
and then, on Christmas Eve, we always drive around town looking at the lights! ;)

Jennifer said...

I've been enjoying seeing your Christmas decorations. Growing up Christmas Eve was always with my dad's family and Christmas Day was always with my mom's family. Christmas morning was at home though.

And just because I am not really familiar with the Baptist religion, is the manger not part of your celebration of Christmas? Or is it just not putting up a manger? As a Catholic, growing up it was a part of our mass to have a Christmas pageant at Church where the little kids would dress up like Mary and Joesph and ride in on a prop donkey. The church I go to now, at midnight mass we have a Christmas procession where a child brings in the baby Jesus for our manger, followed by the priest and then we start mass.

And I promise I'm not trying to start an argument, I am just genuinely curious, but what do you mean you don't support Catholics? I hope you can help me understand!

Jennifer said...

Jennifer, thanks for your comment and for visiting my blog! I'm sorry that I was not very clear there, but what I meant was that I do not agree with what the Catholics believe. We do have manger scenes, and we do believe in celebrating the birth of Christ at Christmas! For truly He is the reason for the season! I just loved their manger scene...it was one of those beautifully made ones and not plastic.

I hope that answers your question. If you have any more, just feel free to ask!

Jennifer said...

Ashlyn, that sounds like fun! We drive around on Christmas Eve, too, and look at lights!

Jennifer said...

Thanks so much for answering!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Swidget 1.0