Anyway, let's get started! Today, these are just some simple, practical, common sense, life lessons that whether you marry or not it would be good for you to learn.
- Learn to iron! Super simple, right? I can iron my clothes easy-peasy, but Jonathan's pants and shirts are the hardest to get the pleats and creases right! This is something I should have worked on more!
- Learn simple meals. Macaroni and cheese is great out of a box every now and then, but if that's all you can do, girl, you are going to have one hungry man! (By the way, you don't have to be married or ever marry to learn to cook. Cooking can be used to serve the Lord in many ways! It is a ministry!)
- Learn to use a sewing machine. I am so glad that I learned this! Now, I'm not a Betsy Ross, but I can at least hem a skirt or pants, make a skirt, etc. That being said, learn to sew by hand. (Hem by hand, sew a button on!)
- Learn at least one family get-together/company meal that you can prepare super well and easy. This is a must! Use this to be a blessing to some family or your pastor. I know that sometimes things do not go as you plan. The spaghetti scorches. The dessert flops. It happens, but have something that you are comfortable making on standby to use during these times.
- Learn to not spend money. I know, I know...you are probably thinking, "What do we do then??? We have to spend money to live.'' That's not what I'm saying...learn to not spend money on every little whim. When you're single, this is so easy to do. ''Ohhhh, look at those shoes...violet and pink polka dots, just what I need!!!! A new purse here! New jewelry! New set of luggage''...but where are you going??? ''No where...just love that its pink!'' I'm not saying that you can't do it sometimes when you're married, its alright to treat yourself from time to time, but now is the time to be a good steward of what you have. Look nice and pretty, but learn to distinguish between what is necessary and what is beyond unnecessary, if that makes sense?
Lord willing, I'll have more posts coming soon!!! Check back soon!
7 comments:
I'm so glad you've decided to do these posts...I know it will be a blessing!! I'll be praying as the Lord gives you the words to say! :)
I definitely wish I learned how to sew! I have a number of things I wish I could be able to fix (ripped comforter, shortening pants, fixing a hem). I am thankfully that my mom did teach me the basics for cooking so I can make a few really good meals.
I wish I had learned how to cook before I got married. I'm not sure I was even good at boiling water back then. With two older sisters, they did any cooking that mom didn't do. I think it's important for young ladies to learn how to make gifts. Like you said, you will not always be able to buy whatever you want and having a stash of gift ideas to make is really a great idea. I also think, back on the cooking line, it's important to learn to cook day after day. A meal here and there is easy, it's cooking day after day that gets hard to be creative! I think knowing how to host company and put on a party is important too, and will bring a girl's future husband much honor.
Thanks for all the comments!! What you said about the meals, Mrs K, is true! It is good to learn how to be creative in your meals. Or even learn to follow new recipes!
Thanks for sharing everyone~
I couldn't sort laundry, cook, organize or clean when I got married. At first a man is just happy to be married. I couldn't get away with all that today, after 30 years of marriage! I wish I would have learned more about it all and how to decorate my home frugally. It doesn't take a lot of money to make your home look comfy and welcoming. I wasn't raised in a Christian home and I wish I would have known more about the word of God and how HE says to handle situations in life. It would have saved me some heart ache. I also learned after my 3rd child, how to organize my home. What a blessing that has been. I know where everything is and can have it in my hands in less than 5 minutes. An organized home runs so much smoother.
Great ideas! Thankfully, I feel quite prepared in many areas, but I think I'll be always learning! =) I would be interested in reading more posts like these.
I love these post, Mrs. Jennifer!! I have started to realize that I REALLY do have to start practicing now, what I am, Lord-willing, going to have to do one day:) In other words, this was a blessings:)
Post a Comment