- Learn to plan a menu. This is a way to save money when it comes to grocery shopping! I've been doing this since we'v been married...it helps me with knowing what to buy each week when I go out.
- Learn to use coupons. You may marry a millionaire! If that's so, Fantastic for you! But in reality, the first year especially will be a little harder money wise. I have been using coupons, and even though sometimes, I may just use them for cosmetic supplies (ex. toothpaste, hairspray, shampoo, etc.), but that's something I don't have to spend much on. That helps me tremendously save the money for groceries.
- Cultivate a talent. One thing my parents made all of us girls do was take piano lessons! What a blessing! You may need something that you can earn a little extra money in a tight time or maybe just to go on vacation, Christmas. Things like teaching music, sewing, quilting, making soap, babysitting can all be done at home. You may also marry someone who will be in the ministry in some capacity...start a church, end up on the mission field, etc. then y'all will have a pianist, someone to sew curtains for the church office, quilt blankets for the nursery, and teach Sunday school!
- Learn to be around children and babies. Volunteer for children's church and nursery. Read books! Good godly books on the home and raising children.
- Learn to drive...yes, you would be surprised how many girls don't know how! I'm not saying its right or wrong to drive or not to drive, but it would be wise to at least have your license before you have children in case of an emergency.
That's it for today, Ladies! If you have any to add, let me know! Next week, Lord willing, I'm going to have another post up for singles! Have a great week!
I'm linking up at:


6 comments:
I like this. These are all important skills to know. I was blessed to have a mother who taught me all these things through lessons and example. I remember I was a little daunted when she started having me cook meals for the family occasionally, but it was such good practice!
Other more advanced skills I would add are bread- and pie-making. While not crucial to successful homemaking, I certainly think they are a bit trickier than other forms of cooking and baking, and can best be learned from someone who already knows how to do them.
sad to say, the only thing on that list i could do before i got married was drive. my poor husband suffered through many a terrible meal, over drawn bank account (because i didnt know about coupons, menues, shopping lists, or budgeting) and my poor daughter was subjected to my sub par parenting. how much better our first few years of married life could have been, if i had had just a few skills to bring to the table.
That's one thing that I never learned was to bake pies, and my husband loves an apple pie! Thanks for the comments!
These are really good tips!
I also never bake pies. But I do bake bread. :)
I take piano lessons, have been for eight years, and I'm hoping to start teaching soon. :)
Menu planning is really important... many times when you just make a "quick run to the store" without a well-planned list to get groceries, you end up spending more money than needed and you also buy things not needed.
I think skills like controlling your emotions when you feel like making everyone miserable, not complaining, and showing reverence, were at the top of my list after I got married to work on!
Naomi, that is so very true! I am still working on that every day! You don't realize before you are married how much those things affect your home and marriage! Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment