Friday, May 20, 2011

Asking for the Old Paths...




Thus saith the LORD, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls. But they said, We will not walk therein.


Jeremiah 6:16






Maybe I'm just an old fashioned girl, but I love and long for the old paths...the way life used to be...when ladies were ladies, I mean a REAL lady! She was strong, but yet feminine all at once. She walked like a lady, talked like a lady, dressed like a lady, smelt like a lady, and I'm not just talking about the outward characteristics of a lady either...I'm talking about the inward characteristics!












1. She walks like a lady: her walk is strong in the Lord! She is never easily swayed by the world's opinion of what was popular for her life or family. She goes by the Word of the Lord:






Titus 2:3-5 The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed.






2. She talks like a lady: her conversation is never on things done in secret, never insinuating anything that was a "private" matter, the way she talks reflects what is on the inside, never a foul word! Now mind you, a lady used to be able to pull aside a younger lady and correct her in her way (which we need more of this, Amen?)...I'm not saying she couldn't be firm in her words, but she is careful that they honored and glorified the Lord and edified the believer...she never corrects or disciplines another person or child in a derogatory manner, to put them down! The way she talks is who she really is!






Ephesians 4:22-25 That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts; And be renewed in the spirit of your mind; And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness. Wherefore putting away lying, speak every man truth with his neighbour: for we are members one of another.






1 Peter 1:15 But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation;






Hebrews 13:5 Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.






1 Timothy 4:12 Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity.






3. She dresses like a lady: yes, this is a touchy subject, I know! But don't tell me that there is not a difference! There is a distinct difference between how a lady dresses and a woman! Plus, a lady's character is pretty much seen in her dress. Let me give you this example: If I were to walk in with all black on, black lipstick, black nail polish, all kinds of holes on my face from rings of various sort, what would you think? Gothic, right? I have real personality issues? There is a reason why someone is dressing the way they dress...it is a matter of the heart! (I know that people get saved, and maybe the Lord hasn't dealt with them about some things yet, but if they allow the Lord to work and prune and correct, they will change! My daddy is a perfect testimony of this! He had hair past his shoulders when he was saved. Yes, it took him a few months to cut it short, but the Lord gradually showed him through Scripture that it was wrong) It's a matter of immodesty, impurity, rebellion, a wrong heart attitude. I'm not going to get into too many details...I can't change your heart about dress (this is one of the touchiest subjects with women, but I dare you to study Scripture with an open heart!) only God can convict and change you about this one! One more thing, I don't think you have to dress dorky either to be modest and feminine...you can still be tastefully dressed and pleasing to the Lord!






1 Timothy 2:9 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; (Now I looked this up...I know some people think that you are not to wear jewelry or braid your hair...one commentary said that this is talking about anything that is over the top, overdone, or anything that will draw attention to me or my body, which you can with certain jewelry, hairstyles, shoes, clothing, that may be modest in the way it is covering you, but it is still drawing too much attention to your body. You want people to see YOU...so that they can see CHRIST in you!





1 Peter 3:3-4 Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel; But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price. We should want to show forth the hidden man of the heart, what the Lord has done for us!






4. She smells like a lady: this is a funny one! Have you ever been beside a woman who smokes, doesn't shower, maybe drinks? Her smell tells a lot about her doesn't it? So does our inward being smell!






We smell by our giving spirit:




Philippians 4:18 But I have all, and abound: I am full, having received of Epaphroditus the things which were sent from you, an odour of a sweet smell, a sacrifice acceptable, wellpleasing to God.






We smell by our praising:




Psalms 100:4 Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.






Hebrews 13:15 By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name.






Jeremiah 33:11 The voice of joy, and the voice of gladness, the voice of the bridegroom, and the voice of the bride, the voice of them that shall say, Praise the LORD of hosts: for the LORD is good; for his mercy endureth for ever: and of them that shall bring the sacrifice of praise into the house of the LORD. For I will cause to return the captivity of the land, as at the first, saith the LORD.





Over in Genesis, when Noah is offering a sacrifice, thanking God for His protection, the Lord smells the sweet smell and then decides to not punish the world again with a flood! Now, don't tell me that the Lord doesn't like us to smell sweet! :)






I could go on and on about an old fashioned lady, but look around you, you can probably find at least one in your family, church. I know they are getting fewer and fewer, but praise the Lord, my mama, my mother-in-law, my aunt, and some lady friends are still sticking to the old paths! Find you a godly example to look up to! Read your Bible! Determine to stick to the old paths of being a godly lady for Christ!




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Everything you wrote is perfectly true. Thank God there are still some ladies out there willing to ponder the old paths. My heart aches for this generation. I pray for my little boys. One day, may they marry a young ladies whose hearts are on the correct path ~

Ashlyn Y said...

Wow, Jennifer, amazing post! I loved all the scriptures! Must of took a little study or a good concordanance!
My Dad, after he got saved some seven and a half years ago, got convicted in the matter of dress, and my mom and dad both decided that modesty was very important. As hard as it was for her, my mom got rid of her jeans and slacks, (much to the questioning of family-which was also heard for her.)
and started wearing skirts, along with modest tops. (For us, that means no low cut or sleeveless!)
My Dad talked to me, I was about six, and he said, "Ashlyn, Mom is wearing skirts because we feel that is what the Bible teaches. I am not going to force you to wear skirts. I am not going to force you to change. Because then when you get older, if you rebel, you will rebel in that area. You will start throwing away our standards." (Now that was not word for word!)
I remembered that, and very soon I was changing my clothes. My jeans- (even my favorite pair- they were a dark pair with a little pink sparkle on them!!) found their way out of my dresser, along with my shorts! I think it was easy for me then, because what six/seven year old doesn't like long flowing skirts!!(We moved recently and my younger siblings ages 7 and 10 made friends with a 7 year old girl in our neighborhood. She is from a broken home- and loves to come over all the time and doesnt want to leave. She loved the fact that we wear skirts. So one day, she came over wearing a short skirt, but a skirt nonetheless. She looks at me and goes, "Ashlyn, since I was coming over I thought I would wear a skirt!" It was so sweet, and sometimes when she comes over she borrows a skirt to wear!)
Anyway, I know that I CAN change if I want to. But do I want to? no! because despite the odd looks that you get when you go to the store, I love the fact that 1. you know you are obeying the Bible, 2. you feel more feminine, and 3.. (I know this one is weird, but I do feel this way when I am in a store alone running into get something)
It makes you feel more secure when alone. I know, I know, God should be the one that gives you security, but I just feel safer that way!
I know I went on and on, I just wanted to share that with you. Have a great day and God bless.=D

Sarah said...

Love it! So true and definitely needs to be said! It's so exciting to see another woman who wants to stands by the old paths. You have been an encouragement to me! Thank you! :)
Love, Sarah

Anonymous said...

"and the smell of thy garments is like the smell of Lebanon" Song of Solomon 4:11b... This verse confirms everything you're teaching us ladies. Thank you for always staying BIBLE-based. GBU

Ashlyn Y said...

Goodness! I left a LONG comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Swidget 1.0