Saturday, May 12, 2012

The Mission of Motherhood


''Welcome to the mission!'' That reminds me of Christy! hehehe...but literally, our very homes are mission stations. We don't have to pack our bags or go on deputation. Our mission fields are in the very home we are sitting in. We don't need to belittle the fact that we are wives and mothers. We have an important job as mothers and wives to raise and build up a home that will honor and glorify Jesus!

I have realized lately that our homes are not only mission fields in the missionary context, but we are on a mission like one of those war movies or something...we have been given a mission to accomplish with the power of the Lord and His artillery to fight with. Our homes are a constant war zone! No, not between each other, although satan would like no better that to put each family member against the other, but we have a battle to fight again him, the devil! He is out to kill, steal, and destroy! Don't think that your little family is safe! He will attack whether through you (which he may start with you...remember your attitude and joy level will affect the home...when mama ain't happy, nobody ain't happy!), your husband, and then your children! Be on constant guard...even Paul, the great Christian of the Bible, constantly spoke of "keeping his body in subjection," "girding up the loins" of his mind," "tearing strongholds," "wrestling" with principalities, etc., and not giving place to the devil. It's so easy to let him in. Be careful what you:
  • Read: Romance novels, even Christian ones (breeds discontentment, impurity...even Christian ones can start the imagination running in the wrong direction and create a warped view of reality.) The Newspaper (discouragement, fear...I look at the coupons, sales papers, and the Life section around the recipes, but that is about as far a my paper reading goes and maybe sports occasionally. I do not need any more gloom and doom, murders and impure junk stored up in my hard drive!). Magazines (Again impurity, wordliness...now I love Better Homes, Southern Lady, Southern Living...when I talk about the ones to be careful about, I'm talking about the ones like People, Elle, Vogue, etc. The ones that talk of things that no Christian lady should fill her mind and heart with.) Websites (Be extremely careful what you see and read...I hate that you can't even watch an old television show like The Real McCoys on youtube because indecent pictures pop up! We live in a society where they want everyone to be so desensitized to porn and impurity that it becomes the norm.)
  • Hear: Music (Rock, Country, Pop, even easy listening like R & B, in example Michael Buble, will cause you lower your standards little by little...trust me, I know! Music is so easy to get addicted to! So easy to learn, too...we can hear a secular song a couple times, and we know it, but you ask some one to sing 2 verses of a traditional hymn, we find it hard! Be careful about listening to too much dreary good music...like ones that are more slower paced, sad and mournful...those are not bad, but we need to listen to songs that will make us have a joyful home. I actually heard a pastor talk about this once. Those songs are good sometimes, but if listen to those songs long enough, we will be just as droopy and downcast. Sing songs like "Lift the Name of Jesus Higher" "Higher Ground" "Ain't God Good" "I have been blessed" "It's Amazing What Praising Can Do". Sing and listen to songs that lift up Jesus in our lives that speak of his love toward us!) Company you hang around (The crowd you go around with will define who you are and who your children will become! They learn by example...get them around godly preachers, teachers, families that have the same convictions and standards that you desire your children to have. I want my little boy to grow up to be a godly young man and hopefully serve the Lord in the ministry, but even if he's just a plumber, because the Lord may want him to do that, I want him still to be a godly man like his daddy. If you hang around a crowd of folk that talk negative, then you will be negative. The same is true with positive people...positive examples=positive people...makes perfect sense :D )
  • See: Movies (Boy, is this an easy way for something to get into the home! Before we even realize, we let a prostitute, a drunk, a foul mouth man, a rebel, a smoker, into our very living room without even blinking an eye...enough said!), Internet (again with being careful about advertisements, pop-ups, even if you have protected internet, it still pops up on facebook, google search, youtube, etc. Be on guard...don't be alone on certain sites...better to be careful than to be sorry! If you are alone during the day, visit sites that you know are encouraging like homemaking blogs and sites. That brings another thing up...if a blog or website, makes you discouraged, don't visit it...there are sometimes that it can just be that, a discouragement, I know that sounds weird, but it can...like you just don't measure up...they should encourage you to be better, but some people just can not handle some things that discourage them...look at things that will build not tear down!)
I don't know if I have made much sense in this post, but what I'm trying to get across is that, Ladies, we have a very important mission and mission field, and we need to do all that we can to guard, protect, and build our mission to God's glory. It will take a lot of hard work on our parts to do these things, but it starts with us and our husbands, but we can not rely on our husbands to do what we need to do for ourselves. Today, you start guarding your part of the hedge. If you fall down, that gap is there! He can not stand in your place and his place! Mind the Gap! Be the Lady Mother God called you to be! 


I'm Linking up at:

1 comment:

tammi said...

It was good to visit and read your post today. Sometimes I get tired and frustrated, feeling like I am the only one in my group of friends and even in my own home who really cares about what we watch, read, and listen to in our household. It's good to "hang out" with and be encouraged and refueled by like-minded friends, even if they are virtual friends! :)

Studies have shown the average North American woman consumes 10 hours of mass media (internet, TV, radio, magazine, newspapers, etc.) PER DAY!!. We simply cannot help but be affected by the world's thinking if that is true in our lives.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Swidget 1.0