Yes, that I do! I always desire whether I live here in West Virginia or New York or California or wherever the Lord leads my husband and I to keep my North Carolina Southern roots...yes, I know that there are other Southern states (my husband declares that West Virginia is Southern, I think some of it is, but some of it is not! :D), but there is still something about keeping your heritage wherever you are from whether you live in Boston or the Savannah...those places are still your home...it doesn't change your upbringing, if that makes sense?
Things about a Southern lady:
1. We love our families! Whether we see them all the time or not, we still love them and can not stand to see or hear someone insult or put them down! A Southern lady will always stand by her man, her daddy, and her mama!
2. She always dresses the part! Church: she always wears her Sunday best on Sunday, never denim! Funerals: black, mostly, but always something classy! Weddings: never slacks or pants, but the best dress she can find! Everyday (especially before husband comes home): makeup on, hair fixed, jewelry on, looking as pretty as possible even if she is wearing an old t-shirt and denim!
3. She never wears white shoes before Easter or after Labor Day no matter what What Not to Wear says!
4. She is always fine no matter what is happening or how she feels! Her arm could be hanging off, sick as a dog, but she is still fine!
5. She loves the Lord (now this is a Christian Southern lady) and her church! She is not afraid to get dirty whether she's needed to clean the toilets or whatever! She will volunteer!
6. She loves her hair products! (Especially HAIRSPRAY!!!)
7. She normally has big hair or has had big hair at some point in her life!
8. You know that no matter how old you are, your father is “Daddy” and your mother is “Mama.
9. You always clean your house before going on a trip, just in case you don’t come home.
10. You follow up everything with "Bless your heart" or "Bless his heart or her heart."
11. You love sweet tea, black-eyed peas, fried okra, turnip greens, and cornbread.
12. You know how to entertain, and all your parties have themes. (This is something Mama still does for birthdays even if you are over 40!)
13. You pull over to the side of the road when a funeral procession passes, showing respect for the deceased.
14. Southern women appreciate their natural assets: Clean skin. A winning smile. That unforgettable Southern drawl. Southern women know their manners: "Yes, ma'am." "Yes, sir." Mr. and Mrs./ Mr. or Miss
15. Southern women know their country breakfasts: Red-eye gravy (this is Southern gravy for breakfast not the white gravy), Grits, Country ham, Mouth-watering homemade biscuits with mama's homemade jelly
16. Never go out without "putting your face on" because you never know who you will see!
17. She always smells sweet!
18. She owns a set of pearls...whether real or not she has one pearl necklace at least!
19. She knows how to make tea...yes, sweet tea...there's really only one kind of tea in the south and that is SWEET! :)
20. She loves traditions...Christmas traditions of getting together with family and friends, special holiday meals for Easter, 4th of July, Thanksgiving, and Christmas are special times with plenty of talking, laughing, and food!

4 comments:
Lovely post, Mrs. Jennifer:)
Blessings in Christ,
~Rebecca
I love this!
I thank God I'm a Carolina girl! ♥
Being a southern lady sounds like a good time to me!
Yes, Best place in the world!!I believe it is better know as the Promise Land! Love you
Post a Comment